• Welcome to MT Forum!
  • India's largest Medical Transcriptionists Community
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

New registrations are manually reviewed by our moderators to prevent spam...please allow us sometime to review your registration and approve. Thanks!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Requirements for working on online platforms
Is it true that one needs to have wired broadband connection (like that provided by Airtel, MTNL, BSNL, etc.) to work on online platforms? Internet connections via mobile 3G dongles plugged into computers will not suffice?

(03-01-2015, 09:57 PM)jutamaro Wrote: Is it true that one needs to have wired broadband connection (like that provided by Airtel, MTNL, BSNL, etc.) to work on online platforms? Internet connections via mobile 3G dongles plugged into computers will not suffice?

Mobile 3G dongles are not reliable.  Speed is not guaranteed.  I have seen one of my friend having problems with downloading voice files. 

(04-01-2015, 06:52 AM)transmys Wrote:
(03-01-2015, 09:57 PM)jutamaro Wrote: Is it true that one needs to have wired broadband connection (like that provided by Airtel, MTNL, BSNL, etc.) to work on online platforms? Internet connections via mobile 3G dongles plugged into computers will not suffice?

Mobile 3G dongles are not reliable.  Speed is not guaranteed.  I have seen one of my friend having problems with downloading voice files. 

Agreed that 'Mobile 3G dongles are not reliable.  Speed is not guaranteed.' However, I have no problem downloading voice files or searching the net. I have a couple of universal Voda K4201-I dongles (made by ZTE) with Data Sims of Voda and Idea who have towers in close proximity of my residence. However, with such mobile SIMs I do not think it is possible to work on an online platform that requires minimum constant speed of at least 512kbps. In case of these mobile SIMs the download speed may go up above 1Mbps and then all of a sudden be zero and then start rising again.... So, there are chances of getting logged off (cutoff) from the online platform quite often when speed is low.

I too await comments of HMTs working on online platforms on 3G versus Broadband.

Dongles too can be used as reliably for online platforms as wired broadband, provided they give at least 512 kbps speed as stated (though not impossible to work with less than this, but it will be very irritating).  You can even use your 3G phone via USB tethering for that matter!  The general practice is to have a wired broadband and have a dongle as a backup; but you can also have a universal dongle as your primary source of internet, with a second SIM of another provider on hand as a backup.  I have personally tried all these options on online platforms with no damn issues whatsoever!

The speed variation that people talk about is true, but you have to understand something here.  The speed is directly dependent on the signal strength and varies greatly with change in signal strength.  So, first check out if you have good, consistent signal strength, i.e. 80-100% with full 4 to 5 notches showing up on the signal bar at any given point of time, and more importantly in the very specific spot in your house where you intend to use the dongle.  Anything varying more than this or dropping less than this range will impact your speed in a big way.

Nowadays, all reputed providers are giving 3G speeds in the range of 3-5 mbps on average and they even go up in excess of 9+ mbps depending on network traffic from my experience.  Supposing even if your provider gives a speed of 1 mbps, it is good enough to work considering you have a signal variation in the range of 80-100%.  When figuring out the speed, don't go by the words of others or some tricks of a wily sales executive; confirm it yourself on speedtest.net.

Furthermore, the dongle needs to be connected to the backside USB port of the PC, which is directly connected to the motherboard.  As far as possible, do not use extension cables; but if it can't be avoided, use a branded, high-quality shielded USB cable no longer than a meter.  Anything else will cause data loss and interference, which will negatively affect the performance of the dongle with frequent disconnections and poor speeds in spite of a good signal.  Also, buy a dongle of a reputed brand if you are going for a universal one, preferably Huawei or ZTE.

(31-05-2015, 05:01 PM)The MT Wrote: Thanks The MT for the information. I was wondering if it is possible to plug in two or more dongles into the PC desktop in order to switch form one to another if the speed of the first one falls. Or is there a separate device to plug in two or more dongles.

(01-06-2015, 03:14 PM)gspal Wrote:
(31-05-2015, 05:01 PM)The MT Wrote: Thanks The MT for the information. I was wondering if it is possible to plug in two or more dongles into the PC desktop in order to switch form one to another if the speed of the first one falls. Or is there a separate device to plug in two or more dongles.

Hi gspal.  I think there should be no issues plugging in two dongles provided their drivers do not conflict, though I have not tried this out myself.  I don't know about any specific device, but you can use a good quality USB hub if you are short of ports on your machine (if that is what you mean).  In any case, simply plugging in two connections into a PC will not give you a combined double speed or even switch automatically from one to other unless one of them completely stops (not just low speed).  To be able to do that, you need to either bridge the connections or use third party software.  Check out this link and see if it helps:

http://www.wikihow.com/Combine-Two-Internet-Connections

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Good to see forum online again gama 1 2,125 26-09-2017, 10:35 AM
Last Post: sparapatineni
  highly subsidized online transcription training fsrussel 0 1,840 12-07-2017, 08:27 PM
Last Post: fsrussel
  What are the best rates and platforms? The MT 18 10,686 31-05-2015, 04:39 PM
Last Post: The MT
  Working for Mmodal, Coimbatore Kam 0 1,525 07-01-2015, 04:11 PM
Last Post: Kam
  Online Medical Transcription Course Starts from January 13, 2015 audiscribe 6 4,712 23-12-2014, 09:03 PM
Last Post: transmys