Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need Home Based MTs and QAs
What I expressed the feelings are based on my experience in the field of MT for more than 7 years. What I commented is my own observations and not copy pasted from anywhere. MTs are forced to work in the US MT field on night shift, evening shift or early morning shifts. This itself indicates the MT industry is not fit for a career but people without any other option in these days of unemployment are doing this job. A good career gives work at daytime not at night time. Direct uploader status demands many years of experience. Until then one have to work for low rates. US work is very demanding and they are treating Indian MTs like slaves. They torture for quality and also give work at night time. This is main drawback of US MT work.
What Lloyds solution told is completely correct, but the file allotment is very very bad in this industry and totally biased. in my years of transcription, i have not even found a company whose allotment is impartial; i knew i would get negative comments to this from my own community members itself. Be it nature or environment is good only on its own, but when it is EXTRAORDINARILY manipulated, problems begin (you could see people urged to leave this industry). i could see people calling it a survival of the fittest this corruption.

Thanks
US work is now coming only at full night shift or early night shift or early morning shift. If one needs work he has to work compulsorily night either it is early night or early morning. This is not optional. It it is optional then it would be okay but it is mandatory and MTs have no option. That is why I told it is not a good career. It could only taken if people have no other option in any other field.
Anand, that is how the industry is evolving currently. The future for bright, direct MTs are good as transcription industry is preparing itself for the next phase - real time transcription. The MT will be transcribing in real time when the doctor is with the patient. So it is no more just hearing dead dictations, but even interacting with the doctor real time. However, you will have to work in the night shift as we need to align with the doctor's consulting time. You cannot say it is not a good career as it is your own perspective. There are plenty of MTs who still prefer to work from home at their convenience. As I said earlier, the MTs who can directly upload the reports are always in demand.

Thank you,
Lloyds Solutions
Rightly said Lloyds Solutions, rate are dipping. US Mts have lost more jobs to voice recognition than offshoring but nobody can do anything, technology is such a thing. For getting work from US, you now have to compete with Bangladesh and Philippine. Indian MTs are good than Bangladesh and Philippine but sooner or later with experience Bangladesh and Philippine will gain upper hand due to currency fluctuation.

It is always essential to have multiple skills like if you do USA transcription then why not UK or Australian work too.

If you are a freelancer, then you should continue developing new skill sets or otherwise you will find one day that you have lost.
New form of MT "Medical Scribe" who needs to work in real time emerged now but this is very tough job as one needs to understand the conversation going on between the doctor and the patient. This is very tough why because conversations go on in a very faster pace so that almost native people can only understand that. Those who studied English as second language almost fail to understand the conversation. So real time MT or Medical Scribe positions demand ability to understand faster pace conversations in US English which almost impossible by Indian or any other foreign nationals.
Anand, when MT was introduced to India people said Indians cannot do this because they cannot follow what Americans say, give an accuracy of 98.5% and above as majority of the Indians are not native English speakers, etc etc. You see how it has developed here in India. Likewise, real-time transcription too will evolve and bright MTs will have a good career here. It has already started here. So it is like either you embrace the technology or become obsolete and thrown out from the industry. So sharpen your skills for even more challenges to stay in this career if you choose so.
In medical transcription there is audio recording of doctor's dictation. So MTs wherever the audio is fast or not clear can repeatedly rewind and hearand understand what the doctor is saying. But in' virtual medical scribe' job there is no such facility. They have to listen and visualise the real time conversation. So it is very difficult. Usually conversations go on in a faster pace. One can understand how the conversations are fast by seeing hollywood movies. After seven years of experience in MT industry I am still unable to understand the conversations in hollywood movies even 25%. Only native speakers can understand it fully. So it seems me "virtual medical scribe" job is very difficult and there is no way to sharpen the understanding skills.

The 'virutual medical scribe's job is explained in a job portal (naukri.com) is as follows:
Introduction of Medical Scribe: - The scribe would be responsible for managing US physician's documentation on the electronic platform. The scribe would listen to the physician patient interaction and is expected to summarize the same in the electronic health record. This is a job where in Medical Scribe watch complete visuals here on computer screen that is being captured by "Google Glass" ( New generation technology which doctors wear like specs , which enable transmission of live visuals from USA to India here on Computer screens. Search for " Google Glass " on internet to see this device) and watch the live conversation between doctor and patient and articulate the same discussion in English written format in his own lines and update information on specific software (Electronic Health Record). You can also search on internet or YouTube for "Medical Scribe" to understand this position more elaborately. This job is not like to keep on typing from the start to till the end of the day. Here you need to only capture those conversation which is happening between doctor and patient and you need to only work if doctor is investigating patients or giving visits to patients. In case doctor is idle or on leave simultaneously you will be on leave or idle for those span of time

Responsibilities:
*Listen to the physician patient interaction and comprehend the conversation in Electronic Health Record.
*Categorize and summarize the physician and patient interaction under different fields like history of present illness, review of systems, physical examination, plan details etc. and prepare charts.

One can get more information on medical scribe job by searching in wikipedia.
(21-07-2015, 08:43 AM)anand33 Wrote: In medical transcription there is audio recording of doctor's dictation.  So MTs wherever the audio is fast or not clear can repeatedly rewind and hearand understand what the doctor is saying.  But in' virtual medical scribe' job there is no such facility.  They have to listen and visualise the real time conversation.  So it is very difficult.  Usually conversations go on in a faster pace.  One can understand how the conversations are fast by seeing hollywood movies.  After seven years of experience in MT industry I am still unable to understand the conversations in hollywood movies even 25%.  Only native speakers can understand it fully.  So it seems me "virtual medical scribe" job is very difficult and there is no way to sharpen the understanding skills.

The 'virutual medical scribe's job is explained in a job portal (naukri.com) is as follows:
Introduction of Medical Scribe: - The scribe would be responsible for managing US physician's documentation on the electronic platform. The scribe would listen to the physician patient interaction and is expected to summarize the same in the electronic health record. This is a job where in Medical Scribe watch complete visuals here on computer screen that is being captured by "Google Glass" ( New generation technology which doctors wear like specs , which enable transmission of live visuals from USA to India here on Computer screens. Search for " Google Glass " on internet to see this device) and watch the live conversation between doctor and patient and articulate the same discussion in English written format in his own lines and update information on specific software (Electronic Health Record). You can also search on internet or YouTube for "Medical Scribe" to understand this position more elaborately. This job is not like to keep on typing from the start to till the end of the day. Here you need to only capture those conversation which is happening between doctor and patient and you need to only work if doctor is investigating patients or giving visits to patients. In case doctor is idle or on leave simultaneously you will be on leave or idle for those span of time

Responsibilities:
*Listen to the physician patient interaction and comprehend the conversation in Electronic Health Record.
*Categorize and summarize the physician and patient interaction under different fields like history of present illness, review of systems, physical examination, plan details etc. and prepare charts.

One can get more information on medical scribe job by searching in wikipedia.

Way to go Anand.  I am impressed there is someone out there who does not easily buckle down and your reasoning seems quite good.  You are presenting the other side of a "rosy picture" that looks pretty gloomy.
The Medical Scribe will be shadowing a single doctor and get used to his dictations. That is how it is getting done currently. It is not like an MT transcribing the dictations of various doctors. This way the Scribe will get used to the dictation style and mannerism of the doctor and over a period of time will be able to transcribe in real time when the doctor is with the patient. However, the training period for this is 6 months to 1 year. It is still in the nascent stage not just in India but in the US as well.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Home Based Transcription - Telugu ETTranscriptionServices 0 112 18-03-2024, 08:06 PM
Last Post: ETTranscriptionServices
Rainbow Medical General Transcription: Home Based Full Time MTs Required ETTranscriptionServices 0 637 08-12-2023, 02:56 PM
  WANTED GENERAL TRANSCRIPTION DIRECT UPLOAD MTs AND PROOFERS VASANTH MEDI-TRANS 0 1,802 13-03-2022, 10:28 AM
Last Post: VASANTH MEDI-TRANS
  SPD Solutions looking for home based Medical Transcriptionists espidihr 5 11,178 04-09-2020, 07:19 PM
Last Post: espidihr
Rainbow Assamese: Home Based General Transcription ETTranscriptionServices 0 2,232 14-08-2020, 12:33 AM